If you currently receive – or are planning to apply for – Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you can now visit the Social Security Administration’s recently updated My Social Security portal to complete the following tasks online:
- Updating your personal information, including your phone number and address
- Requesting a replacement for a lost Social Security card
- Setting up direct deposit information
- Checking the status of your application
- Accessing details about benefits and payments
- Getting a personalized estimate on your future benefits or your spouse’s benefits
- Monitoring activity associated with your Social Security Number
Even for younger Americans who have not yet retired, evidence suggests that using the My Social Security portal can be a helpful way to prepare for retirement “by prompting individuals early and clearly about important information and actions for financial … planning,” according to researchers at the University of Michigan.
To sign up for a My Social Security account, visit the SSA website. You’ll need your Social Security number, a U.S. mailing address, and an email address.